Daylle Deanna Schwartz is doing a 3-month Indie Music National Tour to spread the lessons of her latest book, I Don't Need a Record Deal! Your Survival Guide for the Indie Music Revolution. She seeks to empower musicians to stop chasing record deals and start making money. She’ll drive solo around the country, speaking at colleges, bookstores and ndustry organizations. This blog chronicles her trip and emphasizes the importance of creating a biz around music independently to make it a day job.

Friday, February 03, 2006

I embarked on the last leg of my journey by flying back to Atlanta on Monday night, November 7th. The next day, Robert Tanner from Morehouse College very kindly picked me up to address an enthusiastic group of his students. That night I did a signing at Borders. The next day was a special treat. I spoke to a lovely group of young women at Spelman College. In many of the programs, females were in the minority. But since Spelman is all girls, I was also able to give them some of the lessons from my Nice Girls on Top workshop. There were quite a few instructors there too and we had a great discussion.

In the late afternoon I headed for Nashville, where I stayed with Tanya Leah. She and her wonderful husband Arnie are successful full time songwriters. I was so blessed to stay in their lovely home with their adorable cats and get to know them. The next day I spoke to a large group at Fisk University. Afterwards, Philip Autry, Chair of the music department, kindly took me out to lunch after, along with a teacher who was displaced from New Orleans. Afterwards I hooked up with Sasha Mullins, a musician also known as Biker Lady for coffee. Friday I drove a few hours to Jackson, TN to do a book signing at Davis-Kidd books. Amerihost was my sponsor there.

Saturday I had a long drive to eastern TN where I stayed with Canjoe*John, who I interviewed in my last book, at his lovely place in the Appalachian Mountains. He offered to open up his B & B for me to stay in. I was honored. It was a gorgeous antebellum house from the mid 1800’s. Canjoe opened it just for me so I’d visit! We’d spoken a few times on the phone but this was the first time I met him. I didn’t get there till early evening. He was waiting for me with a pot of yummy stew. He’s a good cook! His friend Junior came over to show me his book about his journey to get a Hank Williams commemorative stamp.

Canjoe gave me a private sample of his fiddle and canjoe playing. The canjoe is a one-string instrument. Canjoe carves a long piece of wood. On one end is a can and one string up from it. I got to see all of the different canjoes in the house. They’re beautiful. He’s a musicians and an artist in his beautiful canjoe designs. He plays them and sells them. The house I slept in was full of antiques. It was like sleeping a museum – a lovely and different experience. In the morning Canjoe prepared an amazing breakfast. It was so gorgeous there and I hated to leave. But, I had a book talk to do at Malaprops in Asheville. To get there, I drove for 2 hours through stunning mountains that radiated the changing colors of the trees.

Asheville is a delightful, pretty city. Very artsy. Malaprops is a cool bookstore with a café. My event was packed. A lot of musicians live there and I had great coverage in the daily and weekly papers. It was a fun group. Afterwards, I wandered around a bit. Comfort Inn River Ridge was my sponsor in Asheville. I relaxed in Ashville the first half of the day on Monday and then drove to Mooresville, NC, which is near Charlotte. I got there in time to have dinner with Dave Currier and his wife Lois, who opened their lovely home on the water to me. I’ve known Dave for years by phone so it was great to meet him. He manages an artist in Nashville.

I got to relax the next day, which I needed. In the evening I did an event at Borders in Charlotte. Thanks to Brian Hartzog, who posted the event in several places, I had a great crowd. I always write about street teams but this was the first time I’ve used them. People really came through for me in a big way. I’m so thrilled that it worked for me. Street teams are the fuel that powers indie music. It was great to experience it.

Wednesday I took off for Washington DC. to stay with my cousins and arrived late in the evening due to very bad rain. Thursday night I did an interesting event at Tower Records. The weather went from 80 degrees the day before to frigid temps. But some brave souls came out to hear me. The next day I was treated to a wonderful jazz jam session at George Washington University, before addressing a room full of music students.

Sunday morning I drove up to Philadelphia to do a talk at Borders. It was the last store on my tour. I was both looking forward to getting home and back to my real life, yet sad to see it all end. Monday was my final event – at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia in the late afternoon. I shopped early in the day. The car would be returned that night so I wanted to take advantage and bring lots of groceries home to my empty apartment. Living in Manhattan I appreciate being able to shop in a large store, and we don’t have Trader Joe’s! Then I had a final lunch at Applebee’s.

Before this tour I hadn’t eaten in Applebee’s. But it became my haven on this trip. This country is getting fatter every day. Fast food is easy and cheap. But it’s not healthy! Some days I drove for another hungry hour or two because I didn’t want to eat in a place that asked if I wanted cheese on the fries that came with everything. I’m a healthy eater. Some places I was forced to eat in turned my tummy. Grease, fat, cheese, and more grease. I didn’t know what to do. And then I discovered Applebee’s. I LOVE their teriyaki rice bowl – grilled chicken or beef or both with broccoli, snow pea pods, carrots, mushrooms and other goodies in a tasty marinade over rice pilaf with almonds. YUM! I could live on it. But I also enjoy the salmon with tasty rice pilaf and a medley of broccoli, squash and carrots. And the salads are great too! I’m sure everything is good but I kept craving the ones I knew.

Applebee’s is healthier than most other choices on the road and saved my digestion and waistline! I got into the habit of looking up locations on the Internet. Some days I’d drive an extra hour, hoping to find one. Usually I did! The service is super friendly. Some of the waitresses get my Self-Empowerment Quarterly newsletter now. I’d leave each time with a full belly and my to-go cup of their good iced tea. Since I’ve been back, I’ve been in Applebee’s withdrawal. ☺ I’m so grateful to have discovered this restaurant!

After my final Applebee’s lunch I drove to the University of the Arts. It was a nasty day. But the enthusiasm of the students made it a wonderful final event. The kids were so terrific I stayed a while after to talk with them individually, even knowing the rain would get worse as night came. It wasn’t a pleasant ride home. I got lost trying to get out of Phil. The rain got heavier. I arrived back in NYC at 9PM. It took a while to unload the car so I could drop it off that night. Fortunately, National is only a few blocks from my place. It was good to be home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home