Daylle Deanna Schwartz is doing a 3-month Indie Music National Tour to spread the lessons of her latest book, I Don't Need a Record Deal! Your Survival Guide for the Indie Music Revolution. She seeks to empower musicians to stop chasing record deals and start making money. She’ll drive solo around the country, speaking at colleges, bookstores and ndustry organizations. This blog chronicles her trip and emphasizes the importance of creating a biz around music independently to make it a day job.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

I finally have a minute to write and will pick up where I left off. Early on Tuesday morning, September 20th, I flew back to Chicago, picked up my car at Quality Inn, and drove to Madison, WI to do an event at Borders. After, I had to drive across the state to Eau Claire, where Econo Lodge was a hotel sponsor. From there I took a leisurely drive to Minneapolis/St. Paul. The next morning I addressed students at Augsburg College. They include music biz in their music program and it was a very attentive and packed audience.

That night I had an enthusiastic crowd at Borders. A special treat was having Kevin and Kimberly Gullickson surprise me there. They put on a music expo several years ago in Minneapolis and brought me in to speak. We bonded big time but I haven’t seen them since. So this was a real treat!

The next day I checked out of my hotel, packed my car, and headed for the McNally Smith College of Music. I’ve enjoyed all my talks but this was an especially memorable group. I’d found them because James Hearn, a professor at the school, signed up for my newsletter. I told him about my tour and was invited to speak. The group was very informal and relaxed. And exceptionally enthusiastic. The whole school vibed creative energy. I got very excited interacting with them.

The energy McNally Smith kept me awake as I embarked on a long drive into North Dakota. Before this trip there were 10 states I’d never been to. North Dakota was one. As I drove through it, I realized that I’d also gotten to Michigan and Wisconsin for the first time, so I was down to 7 states. I was really getting to see my whole country!

I was surprised at the landscape in North Dakota. It had hills and mountains reminiscent of the southwest. The red rocks also were unexpected and beautiful. I began snapping pics out the window (Warning – do not do this!!). I couldn’t help myself. It was spectacular.

It hit me suddenly – I was driving through North Dakota by my lonesome – but I wasn’t lonesome!! I was happy and felt fulfilled – living my dream of driving across the country by myself and making a difference for many musicians. It was an amazing realization! People thought I was crazy to do this. After all, women haven’t traditionally done this sort of thing nor felt comfortable about having nobody with them. We’re supposed to need company. And especially crave a man’s company – or anything rather than being alone. Well I was FAR from lonely. I was exhilarated! I did call a few people on my cell to describe the scenery. My pics will allow me to share too.

I actually enjoyed the solitude in between speaking gigs. I got to listen to lots of music as I drove. People gave me CDs wherever I went so I had lots to hear. Friends called to see if I was lonely. Okay, maybe something is wrong with me but I never was. NEVER!! I’ve really evolved a lot from the girl who was always scared of being alone. And I love it! Driving gave me time to think. Clear my head. And have a break from all the people at events. Over the years I’ve grown to appreciate my own company more and more. This trip has reinforced the joy of not needing someone else to feel happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home