Daylle Deanna Schwartz is doing a 3-month Indie Music National Tour to spread the lessons of her latest book, I Don't Need a Record Deal! Your Survival Guide for the Indie Music Revolution. She seeks to empower musicians to stop chasing record deals and start making money. She’ll drive solo around the country, speaking at colleges, bookstores and ndustry organizations. This blog chronicles her trip and emphasizes the importance of creating a biz around music independently to make it a day job.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

I didn’t sleep well after my stressful drive from Moscow, ID and late return to my hotel. Plus, I had to be up fairly early. It was still raining in the morning as I drove from Couer d’Alene to Eastern Washington University in Cheney, about 20 minutes from Spokane. Patrick Winters, Music Department Chair & Director of Bands, who came down in the rain to help me find parking, greeted me. I addressed a large and delightful group of students who seemed disappointed to have to go to another class when I finished. Patrick took me to lunch after. It was leisurely, as I had a lot of time to kill before my book signing in Spokane at 7. And I enjoyed getting to know Patrick.

Killing time actually turned out to not be a problem thanks to bad directions. In I Don’t Need a Record Deal!, Beth Wood suggests using Y membership to work out in other cities, so I did that when I had time. After getting to Spokane and the area of a YMCA, I called for specific directions. That wasted way too many cell minutes talking to people who had no clue. I told each person that I was from NY and didn’t know my way around. But the directions always began, “Do you know where X Street is?” “Go to Y Street and I’ll guide you from there.” I kept asking, “What part of I don’t know where anything is are you not getting??” I never did get through.

Over and over I was told to go somewhere I didn’t know. I finally asked a woman getting into her car. She gave me a simple question to ask them and when she heard the answer, felt sorry for me and drove to the Y with me following. It was only blocks from where I was so it was astounding that no one could just guide me. By the time I arrived, time was short. After a fast workout, I asked someone who’d just come in for directions to Borders. She actually gave me some that weren’t too screwy. I had just enough time to grab some dinner before my event.

I didn’t get done till 9:15, which was unfortunate – I had to drive to Seattle that night – 280 miles! The rain got harder. It took over half an hour just to get to the highway. Once out of the city, the road went into the mountains and got very curvy. There were no lights. I remembered how I thought last night’s drive would be my worst. Wrong! This one was! I was very sleepy. When I put on a lovely classical music CD given to me by Patrick Winters, I began to doze. This trip taught me that while I love a variety of music, there’s music more appropriate for long rides – driving music. Green Day’s music saved my butt that night. I want to thank them, first for making such great music. I’m grateful that there are 21 songs on their greatest hits CD.

I kept telling myself to stay awake. The windshield wipers have a lulling affect. So does too much concentration on looking ahead. Whenever I passed a truck or one passed me the water splashed up and another knot formed in my tummy. That was one of the worst nights I can remember. But once I threw in a Green Day CD, I stayed awake by singing along to their songs. Over and over. For 280 miles I played that CD. I took the mindset of “God is my co-pilot” very seriously that night and talked to God a lot, thanking Him for getting me to Seattle safely. And that I’d brought the Green Day CD. The rain stopped about a half hour before I reached Seattle. I was completely fried.

Got to my hotel at 2 AM and couldn’t fall asleep because I knew I had to get up at 7AM. It’s ridiculous how knowing you have to get up early prevents falling asleep. That happens to me a lot. So I felt on empty when I arrived at the Out of the Ashes Northwest Music Explosion Conference at the Hilton Hotel and Conference Center, hosted by Urban Network Magazine. When it’s publisher, David Mitchell interviewed me for the magazine, he saw that I’d be in Seattle during the conference and asked me to speak on a 9:30 panel called “I Don’t Need a Record Deal.” The fit was right with my new book.

My panel had to be early, as I’d already scheduled a joint event with Elliott Bay Books and the Vera Project, a non-profit that has music events and also has educational ones. The conference was near the airport so after schmoozing for a while after speaking, I drove into the city to give a 2 hour workshop at 1:30. I didn’t get out till after 4, at which time I was starving. There had been no time for food earlier. A guy in the class invited me to join him for an early dinner and I went. Then I crashed in my hotel.

I was off Sunday but had to drive to Portland. Slept in and then had a leisurely drive. I arrived at the Jupiter Hotel in the late afternoon. They’re a hip, rock and roll hotel and came on board as a sponsor. It was a unique experience. Many musicians stayed there. The rooms have an almost futuristic décor. I needed earplugs to sleep as they had live music at the bar until late. Loud live music! ☺ But I’d been warned. The outside of each door was a blackboard. Inside there was chalk to write message. When I arrived there was an art fair going on so the doors had fun pictures. I just wrote, “Do not disturb” on mine. I was there for 3 nights.

Had a double header on Monday. In the late afternoon I spoke at Portland State University. Jon Newton, who set up the event, kindly invited people from local music organizations to attend, so I got to meet Bruce Fife, who heads the musicians union in that region, and Jim Corcoran, who is actively working to support jazz musicians. The audience response was very rewarding. I was sorry that I couldn’t stay longer to chat but I had to fly out for a book talk and signing at Powell’s Books. This store has a great reputation and I was thrilled to have that event. The store was packed and I was told it was one of their biggest crowds. I still hear from many people that were at my Portland events.

I actually had a day off that Tuesday, so I put on my sneakers, went to the Y to work out with weights for an hour and then wandered around the city. It was nice to relax a little. I didn’t have much time for that. On Wednesday I spoke at the University of Portland. My car was packed and when it ended I headed for San Francisco, which was a very long drive. I drove into the evening, as I wanted to arrive the next day to have Friday free. Made it there early evening on Thursday, so I walked all over the city on Friday. I saw the hills as an opportunity to burn some calories. ☺ My hectic schedule continued to afford little time for exercise so I tried to make up for that. The hills are very steep and I pushed myself up and down them.

It was Fleet Week in San Francisco. When I walked around Fisherman’s Wharf, there was a navy band performing outdoors. People were loving it. When they took a break I spoke to one of the singers, Sarah Janiak, who told me about the music programs in the military. She joined right out of high school and spends most of her time performing. Saturday I was up early to do a full day workshop from 9 – 5 at San Francisco State University. It was exhausting but also fun to spend the day with a wonderful group of musicians. My car was once again packed and from the school I drove to San Jose airport, where I left my car at a park and fly and took a redeye flight to New York for a few days to catch up on paying bills and other things. I got a great price from my favorite airline, Jet Blue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home